The life on the river, the life of quiet and beauty. This new life is a Gift:
from sitting on the front porch to watch the river go along, or in the big window room, to watch tremendous sunsets, or surprisingly a few nights ago...fireworks from our own window. There is another big upper porch in the back, in full sunlight, and another stone patio outside our master bedroom. There are so many lovely spaces to be outside and wind down and enjoy the beauty.

The house is this funky old shambly house, in a row of three houses. Our neighbors had us over for wine and sunset-watching, and we laughed and talked for two hours with fellow travelors who spend much of their year in Costa Rica. They brought me rose cuttings from her garden the next morning, which are blooming in the house in a vase. Oh what a delight to make some new acquaintances!

And the garden....I call it a garden not a yard, because indeed there is NO grass to mow! Only rambly plants and treasures that I have been uncovering and encouraging along, after they have been swamped and mobbed over by too many ferns. I have found a small vine maple, an azalea, mint plants, a strawberry plant, and a furry little pink flowering plant that is my new favorite. Turns out, I am finding a happy green thumb heart in this new place; I even read Secret Garden a few weeks ago, so happy to identify with the joy and creativity of finding a hidden spot to groom and care for.

A bike path wounds down right down from our road along the river all the way into downtown Portland, and a friend and I rode 20 miles today in the clouds and sunlight. Just being able to trot along along a path is so convenient and helpful, makes me feel hopeful that I will be riding my bike a lot this year.
3 comments:
Oh Manda! These sunshine and greenness and beautiful wood and windows and open air and blue sky in these photos makes me want to want to jump through the pixels of my computer screen right into your new living room. I'll bring minty lemonade for us and all of my gardening supplies if you'll let me...
i just love the sunshine smile on your face in the garden. there are so many joys of working outside like that...makes me want to do more planting and tending. my bright porch flowers get too much attention from my constant watering and fretting about them in the sun ;) LOVE that open wood-floored living room. perfect for summer or cozy fireplace winter nights. yea!
It oh so good to see you reconstituting and rejuvenating in your lovely new home! Your garden is looking so tended and happy with your work and creative touch. And hurray for new neighbor friends and bike riding buddy too!
Post a Comment