Sunday, April 6, 2008

aloha softy

i looked back through our maui pictures yesterday, and
joe's words were:
"we glowed."
Which really happens to encompass all that i felt,
about our brown bear skin, and our shiny smiles
and wet hair from ocean swimming, and
restedness from a true respite.
I long for that tiny oasis to live on in my heart.
O Jesus, walker with dusty feet, how shall
I keep my heart soft?
Crying with my patient's wife tonight, after
he stopped being alive,
there was a worshipful sense that you are Alive
and well in this world, and our
crunchied up fears about life are misplaced,
misarranged, for You
are ahead,
behind,
surrounding me with
pinky blue peace tonight,
like clouds fading over the island.
I pray peace over anxiousness,
and trust over worry.
And I reach my hand towards clear ocean blue
and remember that the whales are still in
there, singing.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I ask that same question so often, Amanda, of How do I keep my heart soft? Especially in N.Y.C. And for you especially in E.R. And I think you're right on--that it's in our cry to Jesus and remembering what's true about Him...and those harmonizing whales.

I thought of you tonight as I watched Sabrina Ward Harrison's TRUE LIVING PROJECT on her website. It's like flipping through the bright colorful pages of one of her books (with a soundtrack in the background). You she both comment on beauty in ways that wake me up and inspire me to spill my own art. Thank you. Keep writing!

http://www.sabrinawardharrison.com/ee/index.php/sabstudio/tlp/