Tuesday, March 10, 2009

a small goodness

I could not have known about this beautiful place, the Oregon I have come to love, this city of great people, this smell of coffee and these evergreens reaching up into a mist of sky, these sunsets spilling over the west hills to slide a red glow down the streets of my town.
--unknown

I started Medical ICU today, and there were such ups and downs that it makes me smile ruefully. First of all, I take call, which is short, long and overnight (ie till 5pm, 10pm, and all night) with a second year medicine resident, which means that they influence a great deal of the month. And Kellie Rooney is possibly one of the nicest actually sweet residents I have met ALL year. Pretty cool. But then the attending physician who is in charge of four residents, four interns, and three med students, absolutely Sucks. Big time. He's one of those people who loooooves going on soapboxes. So he will interrupt your presentation of a patient to preach ad freakin nauseum about whatever the heck he wants--medicine, other attendings, life in general. Wowsers, he almost, i stress, almost manages to cancel out Kellie Rooney. But then, oh then, all our patients are located on one floor, and just like OB, there is an amazing view of the city from all the patient rooms. And the medical students are really helpful and nice. And I will be able to sleep at least 30-50 minutes more each morning than on Ob-Gyn, which is pretty amazing.
And Joe and I looked at five places to live yesterday, and there was such a variety, from a funky little old house just across the block in Sellwood, to upscale apartments across the city, and hope begins to rise in my heart that we will find Home again. And put our art on the wall, and light candles, and play music and find the sweetness of a new place to settle.

2 comments:

Jodi Girden said...

oh i hope so much you will find a settled place soon. it's so important to have a place to light candles and cuddle on the couch and find refuge from awful attendings. can't wait to hear about maui adventures!

Emily said...

i echo jodi's hopes and am wondering how the home-search is going...i wasn't at all excited for your move until the places mentioned in this post made me think of new possibilities...new windowsills, new, clean refrigerator drawers, new colors and corners...