Thursday, February 14, 2008

Pensieve

Call Room Naps,
are like snatches of sanity,
as are the Kellog rice krispy treats
I shove into my white coat pocket for
inhaling in a corner during rounds.
This hospital life is strange:
strange smells and pajama-like clothing,
OR lights and dark black suture material.
I wake my old-man-charlie-brown patients
up in the morning much too early, all
except for Mr.B, who is always awake
with smiling eyes before I swoop into to
rest my stethoscope on his chest, and ask
about his bowel habits.
Clearly, I am not his friend, but
he still offers to play his guitar for me
later....
later never really comes. I think he knows
his flurried student doctor won't come back,
won't be able to check all the haphazardly
unsquare boxes on her list today or any day.
But he smiles anyway, and tells me that he
pooped, because he knows it makes me glad.

4 comments:

Emily said...

This sounds like a Carl Dennis poem, have you read any of those?

I wish I could make you a fresh pan of rice krispy treats to fill your pockets.

Munk said...

I think we will start sending you with fun posters too for your call room! That would make the night so much more fun!! And also a white noise machine so you can get full nights of sleep!!

Brooke said...

i love this blog..and i wish for more postings...

Brooke said...

perhaps a molemaid ode to summer with menu items...