Saturday, November 15, 2008


The tiny softness of fall turning into quiet winter is okay with me. There is so much more seasonality to living in Oregon compared to the everpresent sunshine of California. The trees outside our townhouse were chockfull of red and gold leaves not just three weeks ago, and now the wind has stripped them bare, making our view from our third story bedroom more open. And I wear my new dark plum Northface fleece zip up almost all the time, which was part of my birthday present from Joe. It is dark when I go to work and dark when I come home but so far, the Cozyness is seeping into my soul, and I could light candles every night I get home and be happy. Plus, who can mind the rain so much when you can go from parking your car into the hospital with covered walkways?
This season is particularly special for us, with both our birthdays and anniversary in the October to November swing. There is a lot to celebrate, coming through our first year being married, and six months here in Portland. There is such a sense of belonging here in the Northwest, and as our townhouse gradually fills with pieces of art by Dan Rickards, and unique metal artwork that we collect our our explorations, this place really feels like home. All our early talk about a "year trial" in this townhouse seems less likely, as settling in for the two and half years that remain of residency sounds awfully tempting. More candles, here I come!

2 comments:

Emily said...

candles...me too...right now i'm burning through a batch of green, springy ones my mom sent me, but i'm thinking i might get some more fall/wintery ones soon...do you have any favorite kinds?

Brooke said...

oh there's so much sweetness in these musings...feels like amanda talking on a loveseat while we sip tea (or chai or coffee :) and roll around our thoughts like caramels melting in our mouths..ahhh. so so glad for amanda-musings and gentle process about life, homeyness, treasuring it all..